Popular Posts

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Self defeating practice. Yikes!

I was hoping I could post an improved soundclip this week but it is not to be.  I’ve had worse weeks, guitar wise. Just can’t remember when. Not helped by having not one but two messed up nails...So I’m going to remind myself of all the things I do on a regular basis that thwart progress🤔

- Working on something else instead of  things I want to improve. 
- Trying to fix a phrase instead of a measure, or a measure instead of a single shift
- Trying to fix a problem without identifying exactly what the problem is
- Trying to fix a problem without figuring out a workable solution...
- Trying to fix a problem with a method thats not working, instead of looking for alternatives 
- And the perennial ...
          Ignoring the music
-        Confusing working on a piece with running it
- And of course ignoring my guitar teacher’s advice!  

Aaaaagh! Patience! So what if I spent an entire week working on damping and made it sound worse? At least now I know the extremes: everything ringing over vs. overly aggressive damping. And if the work on phrasing didn’t quite work? At least I am more aware of what I’m aiming for. So although it’s disappointing to start over, I could compare it to being back at the start of a journey, but now I have a more detailed map to guide the second attempt....


No comments:

Post a Comment