Popular Posts

Monday, January 1, 2018

New Years (un) Resolutions

Yes it's that time of year again when we collectively utter a sigh of relief (or disappointment) that the old year is over and look forward to bigger, better and brighter things in the new one.  (Well not bigger in my case, but you get the picture). As this blog is about learning guitar, I will refrain from mentioning that one of last year's failed resolutions was to lose 10 lb, because this year it should be replaced with one to lose 20 lb.   However as cynical realism has set in (not the contemporary movement in Chinese Art, just my version of a lifestyle choice) I will merely write down and consider things I might do to enhance my guitar playing this year.   In the interests of inserting a small amount of optimism though, I will put them down in the order from "likely to happen at least once" to "in your dreams, baby."

1. Practice sight reading every day.   Subscribed to "sightreadingfactory.com" and set it at such a basic level that even I can achieve some success.  Actually it's quite fun providing your guitar teacher isn't watching the results (!)

2. Start each practice session with an (albeit tiny) goal in mind so you can see some results - even if it's only"learn 2 measures."   Today's goal was to write 10 (un) resolutions in my blog 😂

3. Interleave practice to enhance learning - see "make it stick" by Peter C Brown
3a.  Read "make it stick" by Peter C Brown.   I  admit it. I read about the book on another blog...

4. Practice using minimal pressure.  I'm getting quite good at doing buzz scales. However as it's having minimal effect, next is to practice actual pieces this way.

5. Learn at least one piece I abandoned before finishing because it was too hard.  Maybe Villa Lobos  prelude 4... or Joropo from Suite de los Recuerdos...



6. Submit performance for Classical Guitar Corner level 3.  I figure I'm half way there - I've memorized the 5 pieces and can even play a couple of them.  Still got to practice the technical exercises, figure out how to improvise over chords, and actually link it all together in a performance.

7. Go back to playing at the Nursing Home.  Or find another venue to get started again.  I figure I can practice my performance for (5) ...

8. Play at an open mic - you never know...

9.  Work less and enroll in music school part time - I'd like to learn to arrange pieces for guitar.

10. Check back in 3 months to see if any of these things actually happened!

Oh and here’s my first video of 2018 - I guess that could be #11. Get comfortable with making videos...



Happy New Year everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Nicely played! I was just working on Carcassi 7 last night; it's an old
    favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carey - hope to see a video of you playing it :)
      Julie

      Delete
    2. ...not bloody likely. :-)

      After your mention of Peter Brown and "interleaved" practice,
      I found this, which was somewhat interesting:

      https://www.salon.com/2014/04/20/ditch_the_10000_hour_rule_why_malcolm_gladwells_famous_advice_falls_short/

      CW

      Delete
    3. Yes - now knowing it takes 30,000 hours to become a proficient classical guitarist, we can halve the time by using all these cool techniques and it will only be 15,000 hours :o

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete