Popular Posts

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Go slow, go slow, go slow, go slow, go slow....................................

Ever tried to play part of a piece from the middle of a sequence and blanked out?  How about reducing the tempo drastically - do your fingers "forget" what they happily knew at the usual speed?  Mine do.  This is of course further evidence that there is a part of my brain akin to the 'black box' that used to be a common feature of my biochemistry lectures back in the day.  If the mechanism wasn't known, the equations used to show one thing going into the box, and another coming out. What happened in between was anybody's guess.  What brings this to mind?  Well my challenge this week is to play Carcassi 7 cold at an agonizingly slow pace every day.  I can tell what's going to happen - first my fingers won't want to find the strings (cold, remember?) and then I will get to a part where I blank out on which fingers play the note(s) I can hear in my head and have played approximately five hundred times (the black box).  So I will have to get the music out (or play faster) to 'remember'.  Come to think of it, I might also check out what the dynamics and phrasing are supposed to be while I'm about it. And I might figure out the sequencing a little more clearly.  Hmmm... perhaps there is some method to this madness -  My memory might even get to decipher some of the contents of that black box...

But here's the kicker - I have to do this for my guitar teacher next week!   Oh man, I'm going to need a strong drink either before or after that lesson (maybe before and after...)

Decided to see if repetitions of this process (trying to play it cold, sloooow) has any benefit...  so will try it daily and track problems and solutions this week.

DAY ONE.   Quel Disaster!    Playing it at 25-30 (vs. ~80).  Started off by missing strings (as predicted).  Then forgot where to go in multiple spots (also as predicted).  And speeding up (should have been predicted) - just could not stay with the metronome.  Tried the metronome on 8th notes (still hard to follow) and finally on 16th notes, which worked better.    I learned the "forgetting" was usually in the right hand, not the left, so practiced some areas right hand only.


DAY TWO -  Slight improvement...  a couple of sections I practiced yesterday were OK today.  Still missed strings, but mostly in the first few measures, right hand.  Maybe I should do a dry run of the first bit next time to make sure I'm lined up?  Still having problems with the slur section  - my hand doesn't like i on 1 with p on 6, so repeats m, and then I notice what I did and screw up the next bit.  Potential solution?  Changing fingering to add in 'a.' Noticed a squeak I can work to eliminate.  Forgot to put metronome on at all....oh well, it was slow...

DAY THREE - Definitely improved today - only missed or buzzed ?4 notes in a complete run through - but wait!   I "forgot" to go super slow - it was just "slower."   Aaargh.  Back to the metronome tomorrow.  Good news - squeak disappeared, and having done a dry run of the beginning few measures,  only missed one note instead of most of them in the first section.  And the 'a' on the slurs seems to be working but needs more practice.  Worked on trying to find that F#/C stretch by feel because it's a "commonly missed" part - not too much success with that yet.  Figured I'd better damp the E bass at the end so worked on the right hand thumb (which never ever wants to do what I tell it to....).  Thought about adding in breathing room but didn't...

DAY FOUR - Much better at staying with the metronome on 16ths - no tendency to charge ahead at all.   And I managed to get through to the end (i.e. before the repeat) , only missing one note , and in particular the first section when I was totally cold went without a hitch as did the slurs and F#/C (but I did have to look).  But then on the repeat new problems emerged - now I have so much time to think that I'm second guessing myself or analyzing or wandering in my head instead of focusing.  Then suddenly I remember to concentrate and - guess what? I don't know where I am.  Also totally forgot about damping at the end.   So tomorrow's challenge is to stay focused, perhaps by actively thinking about dynamics in the upcoming part instead of the individual notes...
Thinks💭   might try some of my other  "problem pieces" (actually that's all of them currently) at super-slow tempos to see if that will iron out some persistent problems.

DAY FIVE - I can say I know this piece a lot better than I did at the beginning of the week!  Tempo is good but I'm continuing to have problems remaining focused at such a slow pace, and today I had to restart due to 'wandering off' right at the beginning- what can I say? it's too early in the morning.  However once I got  my brain in gear, the second section including the repeat went well.  Tried to think about what I needed to concentrate on in upcoming sections and it seemed to help.  Though I did wander off once, believe it or not thinking about suggestions to avoid wandering off from yesterday's online masterclass!  - and I still forgot the damping. 

I tried the super-slow stuff on Maria Luisa - that's a harder nut to crack - I've tried concentrating on so many different aspects  - one of these days I will figure it out.

DAY SIX  - I would dearly like to say that this is the day it all came together.  Nope.   In fact it was dreadful.  Missing notes with both hands left right and center.  Gave up and practiced thumb damping instead.  Reminds me of when you are clicker training a pig to follow a target (yes, I've done all sorts of odd activities in my career) and things are going along swimmingly until a few days in, then the pig ups and forgets everything you thought it had learned.  This (for a pig) is normal - within a day or so it's back on track and seems to have mastered the task.  Something to do with transitioning from short term to long term memory.  I suppose I could be like that pig.  OR it might have been because I reduced the metronome to 8ths, and here I was again fighting not to speed up instead of concentrating on what I was playing.  I'd love to know why it is so much more difficult to stay at tempo with half as many clicks...  Tomorrow's task - somehow encourage my brain to stay on tempo with 8ths and think about what's coming next...

DAY SEVEN - well today was the day when I actually had to play it, at this painfully slow tempo, for my guitar teacher.   Just so you know, I rarely if ever manage to play anything for my guitar teacher due to nerves and fear of failure.  What happened?  Well I succeeded! - played through the whole thing with minimal mistakes (though admittedly I did have to start twice).  Of course I did not have to stay with the metronome, which helped. Next week's task is to stay with the metronome on fewer clicks, but I think I'll spare you the day-to-day tribulations  😊

No comments:

Post a Comment