Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Which online sites are most useful for learning student pieces?

Apart from actually listening to your guitar teacher, and checking out performances by all and sundry on Youtube, where else can we go to find out how to manage fingering, determine tempo and figure out how to interpret a piece of music?   Yes, I know that hopefully we are going to end up with our own interpretation, but along the way it's helpful to see what others have done and what sounds good.  These days we have a wealth of online resources, but with that cornucopia of possibilities comes a downside - with no 'expert' moderating what gets uploaded, we could be diligently learning to play an idiosyncratic version, or worse,  duplicating all sorts of errors.  For instance, I learned a renaissance piece, happily emulating multiple student versions.   My subsequent lack of tempo control was pointed out quite vividly by my guitar teacher as he demonstrated the impossibility of 'conducting' my version due to its widely varying tempo.  I went back later to check the online 'student' videos and discovered there wasn't a single version (at least among the half dozen or so I reviewed) that kept to a solid tempo.  Ugh.   Not that online videos aren't useful, but it does mean we have to be somewhat circumspect when using an uncurated upload as a model.

So how, not being experts, do we assess what we are seeing and hearing?    I guess the easiest way is to check the credibility of the musician -  searching YouTube reveals a host of respected names.    For a particular artist you can look for a YT (or Vimeo) channel- particularly good resources include Brad WernerKevin Gallagher, Edson Lopes,  Per-Olov KindgrenDaniel Nistico,  Eliot Fisk, Zane Forshee and Strings By Mail sponsored artists Gohar Vardanyan, Matt Palmer, Raphaella Smits,  and Irene Gomez.  A new site likely to be useful for a lot of student pieces is guitaretudes.com (sign up required - but you can check out multiple clips posted on the Instagram app).  Another site to try is Delcamp (free sign up) where you can find some beautiful versions of non-copyrighted music posted by members of the forum.   ITunes or CDBaby may be other options for nice renditions, and at ~ 99c for the complete version, hardly likely to break the bank.    So far as other upload sites go, such as Soundcloud, Box (free subscription required) and Vimeo,  you are on your own!

So as I'm going to be learning the well-known Study in Bm by Fernando Sor, I thought I'd go web-hunting to see what is available. As this is (apparently) part of every student's repertoire, I thought there might be some instruction  available, but perhaps because it's so popular, reputable instruction seems to be only by subscription - although there is a Strings by Mail "lessonette" by Gohar Vardanian.   For performances though, there are a lot of great options, my current favorite being by Kevin Gallagher, not to mention   Julian Bream...  Now if only there were a way to download those versions into my guitar....

Less well-known pieces (like another piece I will be learning for a while - Pagina de Radio by Maximo Diego Pujol) are less easy to come by.  The version I'm listening to currently is on Delcamp  Even though I don't know who is playing it...- has a lot of good feedback (from people I know who can play) so it works for me 😊

2 comments: