Popular Posts

Monday, August 29, 2016

Benchmarks, long term goals, even (shock horror) exams - do they have a place?

Maybe it's because I've been without structured playing over the summer (no lessons, no orchestra) but I've been thinking about long term goals a lot recently.  I know it sounds like an oxymoron - i.e. developing a game plan for an adult guitar student learning for pleasure and relaxation.  And indeed for many, I suspect it's not even on their radar. After all, once you add goals, deadlines and expectations to a hobby meant to provide relaxation it probably defeats the purpose, right?  Well, yes -  except when the lack of concrete goals or a means to measure progress causes additional anxiety.  For some of us the road just has to lead somewhere - an endless path just doesn't cut it.   I know when I started this hobby, the goal of making music, any kind of music, was sufficient - leading a song with 3 chords at a local song circle was a major achievement, as was learning to fingerpick  'Freight Train'. Of course that was before I got into classical guitar, which indeed has enough challenges for a lifetime and then some. So for us type A personalities, what challenges can we set ourselves? It's not like we have a whole lifetime to devote to it, and we are not walking the path to classical guitar as a career.  Where should we be going with this?  I know I have friends who got into CG having been bowled over by a repertoire classic such as Recuerdos de la Alhambra, and started the journey with a goal of learning to play it (perhaps not realizing how far along the journey they needed to be before doing justice to it, but that's as may be, it's still a big goal to strive for).  So perhaps that's the answer - a far ahead goal that may or may not be achievable, but gives meaning to the process.  Personally I don't have a repertoire piece that is my holy grail, and in fact have doubts that I will ever play any of the famous pieces.  However I do have a wish to improve and eventually use the music in some way over and above playing for my own pleasure.  However that's one of those nebulous 'out there' things that can't be measured.

So that brings up the next question for me. What should I select as a long term goal? And what benchmarks should I use to check off milestones along the way?  When I started learning guitar I had a physical reaction (very very negative!) to the thought of tests that children (or the adventurous adult) take when learning an instrument. Now 3 years later I'm actively looking for a way to prove to myself that I am actually making progress instead of spinning my wheels.  No - exams are not even remotely on the horizon, but it would be nice to know at approximately what level I am working, and when I have mastered the skills needed for that level.  I don't think current repertoire is necessarily a good indication except in the broadest sense. After all, students at many 'levels' may be playing the same piece, but their ability to make it sound like music varies enormously.  Maybe that's why CG only has the vague categories  'beginner' 'intermediate' and 'advanced' for learners. It can be quite a shock to realize after several years effort you are still playing 'beginner' pieces!  Personally I didn't realize until recently that this was not abnormal - hopefully the way I was playing those beginner pieces was improving though.  However that still leaves me scratching my head for a long term goal (whether or not it's achievable).  I've asked my guitar friends about this - one of them is indeed learning one of those 'goal' pieces - Sakura - so beautiful and definitely goes on my list for 'one day.'  Another is content with playing for family (yeah - she has family who are interested!) and a third wants to learn to read music and play some pop songs.  They're not much help to me - as you may have gathered I don't have a holy grail piece I want to learn, my family are not interested, and I can already read music and play a few pop songs (though I could always learn more :)) I'll have to try out some goals for size, and maybe ask my guitar teacher for guidance on benchmarks when I have decided.  I'm nervous that he'll think I'm crazy for trying for ridiculous goals, but what the heck, you only live once.   I'm thinking I could pick a level that's a long long way off (grade 8 pieces?  entrance standard for a community college guitar program?) - and work towards it. As an aside I recently discovered that Simon Powis offers certificates of achievement for subscribers to his Classicalguitarcorner courses, which may be an option for satisfying my need to document progress.  Incidentally, I have found that site to be something of a gathering place for enthusiastic adult learners...  an e-community of sorts, which is great because amateur CG doesn't seem to have that many social opportunities compared with, say, acoustic guitar.
Do others have longer term (maybe never) goals or am I the outlier?  Feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment