Popular Posts

Friday, June 8, 2018

Time for Guitar Camp!

I personally have not been counting down the minutes (unlike Roger 😉) until Classical Guitar Corner's adult summer school next week, but as the days approach I'm getting increasingly excited...  it was just so much fun last year.  I really didn't expect it to be so good - after all, the whole thing is anchored by rehearsals - rehearsals for smaller ensembles of 6-12, and for the whole crowd (this year I believe 50 guitarists!)   There was something about everyone being in the same boat (you've never seen this music before and you have to play it in concert in 5 days?  No problem!) and working together towards a common goal...  Not to mention lots of laughter with people who are equally obsessed with learning this instrument that is both impossible and inspiring.    Ben (Verdery) of course took everything just so seriously (not!) and Raffaele's (of duo Agostino) deadpan sense of humor had us in stitches on a regular basis during our small ensemble rehearsals - good job Janet got us all under control for the large orchestra...  Gotta shout out to Dave Belcher, who did everything from coaching to playing in concert and running round organizing.  New this year, Fred Hand will be teaching too - can't wait!  But this come-togetherness for support was everywhere - from the cafeteria to the open mic (when so many people were encouraged to have a go that we all had to sign up in advance this year!) And thanks to Simon (Powis - the organizer of this wonderful event) the impromptu/occasional "extras" (lubricated get togethers in the evening, yoga for guitarists by Evita Powis, BBQ day) have now become fixtures - I wonder what else will be added on an impromptu basis this year? perhaps a jam? Mandatory ocean dip? (kidding).  I will most definitely be reporting on this after my return... but I'm hoping that time s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s out while I'm there.   However I will be able to console myself when it's over - there will still be the very first Peabody Summer Guitar Intensive right on my doorstep to look forward to later in the summer 😊.

No comments:

Post a Comment