Popular Posts

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Avoiding Shiny Objects - or not.

I was fascinated to listen to the CGC podcast by Simon Powis on information overload (AKA shiny objects) and their role in derailing us from becoming better guitar players.  Everything he says is absolutely true.  The more we get distracted by other information/ avenues/ things to try, then the less time we are spending working on our goals, ergo the progress we make is slower.  And even though I currently keep a log of things I should be working on, the things that don't get written down still take up a substantial amount of "guitar time."   Why can't I keep focused?  I see other people post their substantial practice list and accomplishments and demonstrating significant progress from week to week, but not me.

However, (and it's a big however),  I would contend that a few shiny objects are what makes this whole journey so much fun.  Yes I want to improve my guitar playing (I still have that list of things I intend to play 'one day') but given that the real goal is to actually stay the course (see last week's post on the path of mastery), some fun is definitely in order.    Playing backup to my songwriter friend as she tries out her new compositions?  Sure!  Hosting the acoustic group for a singalong (and having to dig out songs where I can actually sing and play the chords)?  Definitely! Taking on a new duet partner who plays electric bass?  Why not?   Well actually there's a good reason why not- there don't seem to be too many duets written for classical guitar and electric bass...   But no problem!  We will just have to develop our own  arrangement..... which will require becoming intimately familiar with  musescore , figuring out how to translate jazz chords onto the fretboard, and both of us working together with the help of our respective guitar teachers to develop an arrangement. I can't wait to get started!   And in the meantime I will continue my snail-like progress in CG, and will just have to practice smarter with the time I am not spending investigating shiny objects 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment