Popular Posts

Friday, May 25, 2018

Mastery ?!

Almost since I started learning classical guitar as an adult of (let's say) an indeterminate age, I've wondered where I'm going with it.   Kids might take up an instrument because they really want to be a Hendrix/Segovia or their parents push them into it.  But what about adults?  Of course it can be a rewarding experience finally being able to play 'twinkle twinkle little star' so it doesn't sound like your 4-year old playing (unless she's the new Segovia), and it's easy to get so involved in the learning process that the stresses of everyday living are temporarily forgotten.  But is that enough?  I've racked my brains for a suitable summit to aim for.  All my attempts to come up with an achievable "goal" seem strangely lacking.  Yes I'd like to be able to play for others at the odd open mic or for a nursing home.  Yes I'd like to be able to record some pieces that aren't too embarrassing to post on Soundcloud or Youtube.  And most certainly I'd like to learn more, perhaps take some college courses,  arrange some music for the guitar.  But is that all? 

Recently I was prompted (by one of Simon Powis' / Noa Kageyama's inspirational videos) to read the diminutive book 'Mastery' by George Leonard.   I had an "Aha" moment: like suddenly finding the solution to a problem you've been battling with forever.  His point?  It's not the goal that's important. Instead it's the immersion in and enjoyment of the process of working towards mastery, whether it be in martial arts or playing the classical guitar.  In fact striving single-mindedly towards a goal can be counterproductive: it can erase pleasure and derail forward progress as we push on without taking the time to thoroughly learn, understand, and absorb each step on the path.  It causes frustration as we seem to be stuck on an endless plateau.  Again.  Instead, he says,  the 'goal' is staying on the path to mastery with the complete understanding that true mastery will never be achieved, either as an accomplished professional or a dabbling amateur.  (And in my opinion there couldn't be a better instrument than the classical guitar to demonstrate how true mastery can never be achieved 😂)

Too heavy for  a Friday before the holiday weekend?  Probably.  But I feel strangely liberated. So what if I'm still trying to get Adelita to sound vaguely musical.  I can enjoy each small step on the way... and maybe I'll eventually move off this plateau, but in the meantime, I'm still on the path.




No comments:

Post a Comment