Popular Posts

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Left hand, right hand, all together now....

Usually I concentrate on my left hand...   and when that approach fails, then I check to make sure I know what my right hand is supposed to be doing.  Fortunately that doesn't happen too often, but it's usually a quick fix. Until now.  For my latest piece, there are sections when neither hand wants to happily fall into the next position, (as I've discovered through repeated attempts that resulted in a distinctly unmusical result).  It's finally down to having to train each hand separately until the "hand shapes" needed are part of muscle memory, and then try to put them together.  Sigh.  It seems that gone are the days when I can polish off a piece in a couple of weeks and then move onto something new and interesting. 

For the forseeable future, I have the Carcassi, which is gradually moving up in tempo from "almost stopped" to "only thinking about stopping" - the Prelude, (where I can but marvel at how much refinement is still needed for a 50 second piece), Maria Luisa, which is going back to "too slow to count" to iron out some technical issues, and then the aforementioned piece (Adelita) with the finger tai chi.  Only one more to add to the mix and that'll be it for the next 6 months...  As my guitar teacher points out, it's time to learn several pieces in parallel rather than one after the other.  Don't get me wrong  - I'm still enjoying the challenge of these pieces, but I am not looking forward to the stage where I'm sick and tired of working on them and they still  don't sound right! 

Maybe I'll look out an easy Christmas song or two for a little light relief 😀. 




No comments:

Post a Comment