Popular Posts

Saturday, December 31, 2016

All fingers and thumbs... again!

 I've been struggling mightily with a couple of new skills for the last couple of weeks.  Reminds me of when I was learning to rest my thumb on a bass string.    Then I remember thinking to myself "this is never going to happen." But it did - though admittedly it took a while.

I'm having the exact same feeling now, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to take even longer to get it...  What are these elusive skills?  I think of  them as sequencing and damping. Sequencing of the left hand fingers so the next one is placed before the previous one releases (thus giving that super-cool flowing sound) and damping of bass strings to prevent notes (or harmonics) ringing over and muddying the next bit.    I can see the sequencing happening eventually - though I guess I will have to work out the LH fingering in advance because my automatic choices rarely seem to hit upon the right answer.  And I've already seen that it sometimes involves a more difficult LH fingering pattern.  I guess I'll have to suck it up if that's what it takes.  However organizing my thumb is going to be an entirely different story.  Though I finally succeeded in getting it to rest on a random bass string, the thought of having to make it go to specific places at specific times? Oh my!  And  another thought - if I move my thumb around deliberately, it will also affect my RH fingering...

Question: is this going to take all of 2017 to master?  Methinks it might.

Happy New Year everyone😊

No comments:

Post a Comment