Popular Posts

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Sight Reading - will it ever happen?

I am so far off being able to sight read simple pieces that it's quite depressing. I'm normally a goal-oriented person (as opposed to a process-oriented person - that's one of those Myers-Briggs kinda things) so not being able to head for a specific goal is frustrating for me.  However it turns out there is a way for us goal-oriented types to get a sense of satisfaction when the goal is miles to infinity away.

The obvious thing is to set intermediate goals - but with sight reading I'm having a hard time even  coming up with those. So I'm approaching the problem a little differently.   I allot a certain amount of time to practicing sight reading each day; set the timer;  move on when done.   (Yes I bought a kitchen timer- it's my new favorite tool and it cost less than $15!) Turns out to be a surprisingly effective strategy - In the past, any attempt to work through sight reading materials hasn't survived more than a few days before other more interesting things have intervened,    This time it's been different.  I'm up to 9th position in my book - strange and scary territory.  I even (gasp!) look forward to doing it.   I'm still scratching my head about that, but I have a feeling that removing expectations and setting a super-achievable goal, i.e. practice for 15 mins, has had something to do with it.

I guess you could call this process-oriented practice.  Come to think about it, wouldn't be a bad idea to apply this principle to guitar playing in general...😶

No comments:

Post a Comment